Sadly Nick Hudson stepped down as director of early education from 1st September. Thankfully he will remain in his post as regional director, North East, Yorkshire and Humber.
As we know there are major changes to the way Ofsted inspects under the new common inspection framework. Early years is being aligned with the inspection frameworks of schools and further education. Hence one senior director – a national director for education. The overall responsibility for early education inspection policy will be led by Sean Harford as national director for education, supported by Gill Jones, deputy director, early education.
Losing Nick Hudson as director of early education is a retrogressive step. The move to a single directorate with early years included within education is anticipated to dilute the priority that has been placed on our sector – particularly at a time when the Government views pre-school education as a priority for reform and expansion.
Nick Hudson was the catalyst for change, opening up the lines of communication between the early years sector and Ofsted, particularly through Ofsted Big Conversation, founded by Dr June O’Sullivan MBE and Catriona Nason NEyTCO CEO, in response to the rise in complaints-driven inspections.
The work of #OBC, (each one of you) has led to reforming the way complaints are dealt with and a number of other important changes, however the work goes on… The recent Ofsted Big Conversation – Regional Meeting – North West attracted 600 attendees! Let’s keep that momentum going!
Mr Hudson listened, understood the issues facing the sector and he took action. A sad loss indeed!
Nick was appointed Director, Early Years in April 2014. Prior to this his roles included:
- National Director, Early Education, Ofsted, January 2014
- Corporate Director, Children’s and Adults’ Services, Wigan Council
- Service Director, Learning, Development and Localities, Oldham Council
- Service Director, Children, Young People and Families, Oldham Council
- Director, Excellence in Cities, Oldham Council, 2001
Nick has also held positions with Blackburn and Darwen LEA and was a teacher at schools in London, Newcastle and Rochdale.
He has also been Regional Director, North East, Yorkshire and Humber since January 2014.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- London OBC Open Meeting Minutes – 18.03.2018 March 28, 2019
- East of England Regional Meeting Minutes 06.02.2019 March 22, 2019
- Ofsted Big Conversation London Open Meeting February 13, 2019
- Ofsted Big Conversation West Midlands Open Meeting January 17, 2019
- South West Region Meeting – Taunton November 19, 2018